We are pleased to announce the Galileo Commission Essay Prize for 2021.
Essays should address evidence and arguments relating to consciousness beyond the brain and should be between 2,000 and 3,000 words, submitted as a word document.
We welcome submissions from undergraduates under the age of 23. Closing date for essay submission is midnight BST on October 15, 2021.
First prize: £500
Second prize: £300
Third prizes: £100 each
The winning essay will be published in the journal of the Scientific and Medical Network, Paradigm Explorer and the prize winners will be offered free passes to 2021’s online Beyond the Brain conference in November 5-7.
David Lorimer, Chair, Galileo Commission
Dr Peter Fenwick, President Emeritus, Scientific and Medical Network
Prof Lance Butler, Universities of Pau and Stirling
Dr Vasilieios Basios, University of Brussels
Prof John Clarke, University of Kingston
Dr Athena Potari, Harvard University
Dr Joan Walton, University of York St John
Prof Marjorie Woollacott, University of Oregon
Please submit an essay by October 15, using the form below. If you need an extension, please contact us explaining why you need an extension.
If you have any questions, email us at [email protected]
Conditions of participation
- By participating in the competition, participants accept the following terms and conditions.
- The essay must be between 2,000 and 3,000 words (references not included)
- The entries for the contest are to be submitted only at http://www.galileocommission.org/essayprize2021
- Contributions can only be written in English.
- The deadline for submission of essays is 15th of October. No entries will be accepted after that date but can be entered for 2022.
- All submissions will be submitted to the jury anonymously. The names of the authors will not be communicated to the jury until after the final decision has been taken.
- The jury will make a pre-selection among the entries by excluding the contributions that a 2/3 majority of the jury deems less interesting (shortlist).
- Subsequently, the jury will have a discussion to decide on the winners.
- The winners will be notified in writing on 31st October 2021 at the latest and an award ceremony will take place during the Beyond the Brain conference.
- By submitting an essay, the authors or the author collectives agree that the Galileo Commission may store their personal data and use it as part of the competition. All participants must provide their name, date of birth, current address, email address, telephone number and, where applicable, institutional affiliation when submitting their contribution. At the end of the competition, we will delete all personal data of those participants who did not receive a prize for their contribution.
- The essay submission text document must not contain any references to the author. Your personal data will not be shared with third parties without your express consent and will only be used for the purpose of the competition.
- Every author of a contribution agrees to waive all claims to the copyright of the submitted contribution when published on the internet by the Galileo Commission as editor on its websites. All other copyrights will remain with the authors.
- The names of the winners may subsequently be published by the Galileo Commission in all forms and in all media. The Galileo Commission is permitted to publish photos of the winners created in connection with the award ceremony or submitted by the authors.
- The decisions of the jury of the Galileo Commission are final. Legal recourse is excluded. [The jury members are determined by the Galileo Commission]
- All submitted essays must be previously unpublished and written independently by the author. No sources other than those quoted may be used. All quotes and cited texts must be marked as such.
- When citing other sources, please use a numbering reference system, such as IEEE or Vancouver.
- A breach of these terms and conditions of participation leads to exclusion from the competition.
Galileo Commission Essay Prize 2021 Submission
This form allows you to submit your essay and take part in the competition.
Deadline for submission: October 15, 2021